Thursday, January 21, 2010

Notes from a Stylist is stuck in her 'jeggings'



After a vexing day with post moving shenanigans (I'd tell you but then I'd have to shoot you...), it was off to Anthropologie for some well deserved r&r (i.e. shopping). I was looking for some dark wash straight leg boyfriend jeans - can't believe I just wrote that - how come there even is such a thing as 'dark wash straight leg boyfriend jeans' and how do they differ from all the other ridiculous named 'boyfriend' items out there.

You can't walk into a store these days without bumping into a 'boyfriend cardigan' a 'boyfriend sweater' or even a 'boyfriend blazer' - if I were a boy I'd be telling my lady friend to keep her thieving hands off my closet, but I digress.


I came across some 'jeggings' - which I had blogged about recently on Running with Heels and was certainly open minded about trying them. I spotted a pair of Joe's 'jean leggings' - see they haven't been fool enough to use that ridiculous 'jeggings' term. Brushing past them assuming they were maternity pants as they had a high waist band and elasticated waist, a second swoop by confirmed that they were indeed these mysterious pants that the skinnier celebs are all a flutter about.

It was time for research - armed with a couple of pairs in S and XS (ever the optimist), I boldly thrust my way into a changing room. Happily an able assistant had opened the door for me and knew I was in there, as it was a good 20 minutes later that I managed to get the damn things off my legs - yes not on, off!

This small segway of time was taken up with a fair amount of giggling on my part  as I struggled to wriggle into them. The skinny cut, though aided with the magic of lycra, was super skinny and my enhanced calves, earned through years of pounding on the treadmill at the gym... oh ok, I lied, poor genetic make up, were stuck solidly and wrapped up like a Geisha's tootsies  - there was no way out.

 I hadn't quite made it to the gym today - but had been sporting my gym kit all day in that great American tradition, so the calories burnt whilst attempting to divest myself of this evil garb of the devil were well worth it. Indeed I was lucky to get out of there alive.

So here's the skinny - if you are a teeny tiny Stepford wife kind of a size - feel free, buy all the dam jeggings you fancy and good luck with it. If like the vast majority of society the girth of your lower limbs is wider than 3", then step away from this ridiculous look - unless of course you need half an hour cheering yourself up in a store changing room....

If you liked this post, take a peek at these...


A Burberry surprise in my closet


Studio 54 is still stylish


Stealth attack of the stripy sweater

No comments:

Post a Comment