Friday, April 2, 2010

The Dilemma of the Oxford Brogue


So I knew I wanted a pair of brogues this Spring - great with my boyfriend jeans, preppy with my skinny chino's and who knows how cool with my slouchy linen shorts? The trouble is it's been a bit of a battle to get quite the right look.

Sienna Miller hasn't helped much, turning up on Broadway in some cute Rupert Sanderson numbers.


It all started 2 years back when I figured it was time to have a crack at this look - not wanting to splurge too early I opted for a pair from Yoox.com by Materia Prima, they turned out to be extremely comfy but uber pointy and not quite the right thing - still, no point in sending them back though, I was sure to get some wear out of them...

Last summer I took a different approach and tried the Burberry tumbled leather brogues, currently lying slightly dormant in my closet as the weather hasn't been quite up to it. But still not satisfied - the Burberry ones although super cute do not have the classic hole punching and contrast stitching that my heart desires.


Over the Winter months I set about  my search for the perfect brogue with gusto - Topshop's offerings didn't quite cut it - their golden brogue last Fall was more weirdy dance pump than uber cool English country gent.

Aldo faired no better, their blue 'lahaie' hung in there for a while - at least I wore them around the house for a few days - but sadly the hue reminded me of the color we used to paint our Doc Martins back in the day when we thought we were young and reckless - with hindsight, not so cool.

So the winner is (currently) - good old Church's -  the Burwood metallic - a little silver here, a smattering of classic wing tip detailing there - oh and the pre requisite punched panels.

1 comment:

  1. Sar, I'll take the ones you don't want!!! EJ

    ReplyDelete